Monday, December 15, 2008

FAITH

"Faith means being sure of the things we hope for and knowing that something is real even if we do not see it." (Hebrews 11:1)

We live in such a "Prove it to me" and "Let me see it for myself" world...it often makes me check my faith and see if I am really having true faith in God and the promises He has given to me. I believe in my heart of hearts that God is a Faithful God and will do as he has promised. However...I find myself at times (usually quite unconsciously) saying "Well yeah, I know that is what God says, but what if it doesn't happen?" or "I am sure God will heal Israel because in the Bible it says that God is the same Yesterday, Today and Forever...but if Israel isn't healed then..." so on and so forth. I am getting better at being able to catch myself when I start to go into those thoughts and doubt God's word. God doesn't say "Have Faith...if you can make logic out of the situation" or "Have Faith if you can see proof that I am going to do what I say I will do" Nope, He simply says HAVE FAITH! I decided to do a little research on the word Faith itself...and here is a bit of what I learned.

Faith involves a concept of future events or outcomes.

Faith is essentially an act of trust or reliance on God.

Faith causes questions and seeks answers from God and transforms, it sees the mystery of God and his grace and seeks to know and become obedient to God.

Faith is not static but causes one to learn more of God and grow, faith causes change as it seeks a greater understanding of God.

Faith is a belief and trust in and loyalty to God.

Faith is a firm belief in something for which there is no proof.

Faith is a complete trust.

Faith is something that is believed especially with strong conviction.

Faith is the trust in God and in His promises as made through Christ and the Scriptures.

Wow! I was blown away at all I found when I typed the word "Faith" into my Google search bar! This information really helped me to understand exactly what it means to have faith...true faith.

One of my latest "Life Verses" that I am holding onto is this:
Jesus answered, "Have faith in God. I tell you the truth, you can say to this mountain, 'Go, fall into the sea.' And if you have no doubts in your mind and believe that what you say will happen, God will do it for you. So I tell you to believe that you have received the things you ask for in prayer, and God will give them to you. (Mark 11:22-24)

This is our new "Life Verse" for Israel too! We serve a God who is Faithful...and if we have Faith in this...He will do as he has promised. What a relief to know that there isn't anything else I have to do, just to have Faith and let God take care of the rest. Thank you God for Your Faithfulness to us!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We wanted to share this scripture with you. (Just so you know who we are, my husband Brent worked with your dad briefly in Portland driving him around for Envision/Clearwire.) Anyway, we have been praying for all of you and came across this scripture that we hope will bless you.

As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all. Ecclesiastes 11:5


We praise Him for the miracles He has already done and also for the ones He has yet to perform!

With love and prayers,

Brent and Renee (in Silverton)

The Turkington Family said...

Brent & Renee,

Thank you so much for your continued prayers and support. How encouraing it is to me heart to know so many people out there love this little one and are praying for him.

Thanks for taking the time to drop a comment by. I always wonder who is reading this blog and I love that you, a complete stranger, have been following our story and felt comfortable enough to leave a comment with an encouraging scripture! It really blessed me!

Jesse, Shari , Hank, and Duke said...

you (and your family) are such an inspiration to me! i am amazed at your faith Becca, and know that God is truly blessing you and holding you and Israel in the palm of his hand!

Grace said...

I struggle with having faith in God completely. For example... I have faith in you God, that you will take care of our family, but I will do this just to make sure we will be okay or to be prepared. I seem to always want to fix things myself and you did it again, Becca. You have encouraged me in my walk with God to COMPLETELY have faith, no matter the outcome.

He knows what we need at all times and will provide, whether that be spiritually, emotionally, physically, etc. I have to keep reminding myself... Have faith, God knows best for His children.

Happy McNally Mom said...

Hi my name is Kristan, I don't know you and you don't know me, but we are sisters in Christ. Our family use to live in Salem and attend the MOPS group there. I wanted to let you know our family is covering you guys in prayer. You are such a beautiful family. God Bless you guys. Just know that there are prayers being lifted up in your name out here in Reno Nevada. God Bless.

Unknown said...

Having faith is hard for me, too. Things haven't always worked out the way I thought they would and even..prayed they would at times. But looking back, I see that God has always been consisent on one thing. He has been FAITHFUL. Even when things didnt go the way I thought they should. It's still hard - this faith journey. It continues to be and I venture to think it may be a challenge until we see jesus face to face. Then, when the veil's lifted, all of our questions will be satisfied in one breath...
Thanks for encouraging me once again on this Roman road. It really is all about faith, isn't it? It's inspiring me again. Bless you and your family. May your deepest desires for this child be your reality knowing full well, however he is when he is born was how God himself destined him to be.
He is soooo loved already. What a blessing. That in itself, is worth more than diamonds.

Anonymous said...

Dear Becca and Jon,
As I've followed your heart journeys, it has been a wonderful witness of God's love for family. It's been a privilige to "step inside" Isaiah's own story and to anticipate his birth in prayer with you. Hugs to Rachel and Jaxon as they help prepare for the birth of their sweet baby brother. I love your lively, passionate descriptions of both of them, and I miss them!

Blessings to each of you,
Sharon de L